It was not too long ago when contracts were made on a handshake and a promise. Individuals were not particularly concerned with things like insurance because they relied upon the goodwill of their neighbor to compensate them for wrongful damage. For a variety of reasons, including an increase in the speed and cost of auto wrecks, auto insurance soon became an important purchase for responsible individuals. Not long after, the federal government mandated that auto insurance be carried, at least minimally, by all car owners. The increase in the need for auto insurance over the last 10 years has led to increases in the complexity of insurance, while at the same time, amplifying the need to be more cost conscious in auto insurance purchases.
Buying auto insurance today requires as much dexterity as buying the automobile itself. It is important to know the factors that an auto insurance company considers when offering quotes. This will allow you, as the consumer, to know what steps you need to take in order to qualify for a lower quote. The five easy steps to a lower insurance quote are:
1. Portray yourself as a ‘safe’ candidate:
Insurance companies are interested in managing risk. Consequently they offer drivers who are less likely to get into wrecks or at a minimum into wrecks of less severity, a lower insurance quote.
- Maintain a clean driving record, free of traffic violations or accident claims.
- Install anti-theft devices in your vehicle.
-Attend a Drivers Safety Training program.
- Buy a ‘safe’ vehicle. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety together collect information on safety related aspects of different vehicles. Buy an automobile that is officially designated as ‘safe’.
2. Show your Credit worthiness:
As a risk management entity, insurance companies are also worried about getting paid on time. If you can show yourself to be credit worthy, there is less risk of you not making your payments on time, thus warranting a lower rate.
- Maintain a good credit score and clear up any errors on your credit.
- Pay bills on time, and avoid creating heavy debts.
3. Practice Financial Wisdom:
The way in which you structure and pay for your policy can lower the risk that an insurance company faces with respect to you as a customer. By taking steps to lower their risk, you receive a lower insurance quote and policy.
- Buy an annual policy instead of a six monthly coverage to get you a lower rate that remains the same for a year.
- Opt for automatic payment deductions from your bank account or your credit card to avoid getting charged for mail payments.
- Increase your deductibles on comprehensive and collision policies to reduce on the rates. (NOTE: by raising your deductible, you will have raised the amount you'll have to pay after an accident. Be sure to choose a figure that you would comfortably be able to pay out of pocket.)
- Get loyalty discounts by buying your home and auto insurance from the same company.
4. Opt-In For Telemetrics:
One of the greatest advancements in Auto Insurance lately has been the use of telemetrics devices. Many Insurance Carriers will send you a device that monitors basic driving habits (but NOT your GPS location). This will tell the Carrier what kind of driver you are, and may qualify you for better rates.
- Upon receipt of the device, be careful to practice safe driving habits. The device will monitor hard stops, fast stops, and the number of miles driven.
- Many Carriers will give you a discount just for TRYING the device for a specified period of time. Often, this discount remains - even if your driving event log is less than stellar.
5. Other wise things that you can do:
There are a number of other considerations that go into your insurance quote. Some of them are not reasonable steps to take, while others you can do with little effort which can translate into substantial savings.
- If your car is used only for a particular purpose, make your agent aware of it, as this will limit the cost.
- Students that make good grades are often eligible for a discount.
- Give up smoking; it can help you get better quotes.
In a time where most Carriers are forecasting rate increases on Auto Insurance, these five tips will help you get the best rates possible.
Be sure to speak to Your Ultimate Advocate with Rockdale Life Agency, Inc to get a no-hassle, impartial quote from multiple top-rated Carriers!
CLICK HERE to get started!